Excused and Unexcused Absences
The school recognizes two type of absences: excused and unexcused.
A student who is absent more than 18 days during the school year may not be given credit for the academic year, except for an illness of the student, as verified by doctor’s written statement showing the dates of absence, or extenuating circumstances approved by the campus attendance committee, the majority of which consists of school administrator(s) and classroom teacher(s).
Notifying Hijaz Academy of Child(ren)’s Absence:
1. On the day that the student is absent, the parent/guardian should call the Main Office.
2. If the school does not receive notice by 11:00 AM regarding an absence, the parent may be contacted by school staff to verify the absence.
3. If a parent/guardian does not make telephone or personal contact with the school, the student must bring a note signed by the parent or guardian upon return. The note must include the students first and last name, grade level, date(s) of absence, and the reason for the absence.
4. Telephone or personal contact by the parent with the Main Office is the preferred method of reporting a student absence.
5. Failure to establish parent telephone or personal contact with the school on the date of absence or to provide a written note to the Main Office within three days of absence will result in an unexcused absence. Such lapse in notification may trigger a compulsory attendance notification.
6. When a student’s absence for personal illness exceeds five (5) consecutive days, the student must return to school with a statement from a physician or health clinic verifying the illness or other condition requiring the student’s extended absence from school.
Examples of excused absences are as follows:
- Apply for passport/VISA/INS (documentation requiring appearance and proof of attendance)
- Death in immediate family or of person living in student’s home
- Doctor appointment/medical excuse (with doctor’s note)
- School-sponsored or extracurricular events that occur within school day
- Family emergency (with principal/designee approval)
- Personal illness (5 days with doctor note)
- Private therapy (speech, OT) and/or rehabilitation appointment (with doctor’s note)
- Immunizations (with doctor’s note)
Examples of unexcused absences are as follows:
- Death of someone other than immediate family
- Doctor’s appointment for someone other than the child
- Family business (sibling graduation, aw, ‘
- g;gh’/ard ceremonies, accompany parent on business trip, etc.)
- Family vacation, reunion, wedding, etc.
Parents/Guardians requesting a conference with the teacher should make prior arrangements at least one day in advance with the Main Office and/or the teacher unless there are extenuating circumstances that exist requiring an immediate conference.
Toys are not to be brought to school. Besides being distracting to classroom instruction, toys are often lost or misplaced at school. Toys include: electronic games, skateboards, yo-yos, trading cards or anything that disrupts the teaching/learning environment. Please do not add toys or key chains to backpacks. They serve as a source of distraction and noise while the teacher is teaching or preparing the class for dismissal. Friday(s) only one toy is allowed to bring for show and tell exercise in the class.
Hijaz Academy has an active Parent Teachers Association “P.T.A.” and we encourage all parents to join. The P.T.A. is extremely supportive of our school and this support benefits every Hijaz Academy student. There will be many opportunities for all parents to become active in P.T.A. functions throughout the year. If you are interested in becoming active in our P.T.A then please contact the Main Office to fill out the P.T.A application.